SailNet Community - View Single Post - Saroca boat
Thread: Saroca boat
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2010

cavie is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by twilsey View Post
I have owned a SAROCA for about a year now and have sailed it in the mouth of the Piscataqua River about 25 times (I live in Kittery Point, ME) . I've experienced wind between light & variable up to about 12 knots. 12 knots is all but I can bear when it comes to making a jibe or running down wind with this craft.

Her beam is not to be desired from a sailboat stand point, just a bit too narrow (understandable for the multipurpose vessel she is). She also has a soft chine which is also only existent in the center of the hull. This makes her buoyancy "sweet spot" on a good lean quite narrow and a bit precarious.

Her sail is very large, very fast boat and loads of fun! Picture a Lazer sailing set up, that is very close to what she has. Windy days are a blast but lets say that I've had the "pucker factor" more than once and after a couple windy days, my wife now watches me from the shoreline.

The sculling package is great and my wife and I take the boat out at least 3 days a week in the warm seasons (about 35 times so far). Great craft for 2 people.

I don't want to scare you off with the sailing aspects, I'm accustomed to racing dinghy's (420s / FJs) and so I'm being critical when it comes to sailing hull design. She fairs well and I would highly recommend this for sailing in freshwater scenarios. The sail can be reefed (original design) newer ones have a mast which is a 3 piece and can be used with just 2 pieces for less performance but more stability.

She has lots of room and is very light. I'll attach some pictures later, got to go right now.

Cheers!
I'm going to look at one on Friday in St Pete Fl. I'm looking at it as a sailboat. I have 2 kayaks. Does this thing stay on its feet without 20 year old superman hikeing?? If it goes over does the cockpits stay dry??? Just want somthig to sail untill I can find a Compac Suncat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook