SailNet Community - View Single Post - New York 36?
Thread: New York 36?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Shane,

These are nice boats and I highly recommend them for one-design or club racing in PHRF. They do require a full sail inventory to meet their potential, but they are a lot of fun and fast when sailed well.

But here's the rub for you: They are best sailed with a crew of 7-8.

A family member owned one that we raced fairly competitively for a number of years on Ches. Bay. We generally did not like to leave the dock with fewer than 6 crew, ideal was 8. We'd happily take 9 if it was blowing. If we KNEW it would be dead air, we could get away with 5.

I double-hand delivered the boat a couple of times (short distances, 50-70 n.m.) These were not relaxing trips. The problem is that the mainsail is huge, and the running backstays are not optional on this boat (they truly support the mast, with the lightweight fixed backstay mostly just for rig tuning.)

I am very reluctant to recommend this boat for short-handed cruising, unless you were to add roller furling and some mainsail handling equipment (furling? lazy jacks?). But if you do that, then the boat won't be competitive for racing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook