SailNet Community - View Single Post - New York 36?
Thread: New York 36?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ34 View Post
Thanks John,

It sounds like the NY36 would be a major departure from my current boat. I like fast boats but it isn't going to be long before I will be short handing most of the time. Unfortunately, it will be a deal killer if I can't simplify the rig without losing performance.

It is a nice looking boat with a good equipment list. My wife particularly likes the atypical interior arrangement with the dinette under the cockpit. To me that was the first clue that there wouldn't be much lounging under way.

Shane
Shane,

It really is a neat boat in a lot of respects. The interior is definitely different -- and it works well as a crash pad for crews. It might even be okay for a family in hotter climates, since the open layout is more airy.

It also sails nicely. As I said, with good crew and sails, it will definitely sail to the 114 rating (that's what ours was rated here on Ches. Bay -- may have come down a notch since then). Because of the IOR-influenced hull design, it could get a bit squirrelly in heavy air on the downwind legs under spinnaker -- we had a few scary near-death rolls as I recall. But we also pushed that hull above 14 knots more than once -- not bad for a boat of that size and vintage.

But, alas, my alarm bells went off when you mentioned short-handing it. Having sailed a few thousand miles on one, it's not a boat I'd choose for that purpose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook