SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cored deck soft spot repair
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010

CaptainForce will become famous soon enough
I would first suggest that the rigging attachments of your shrounds to the chainplates and the security of your chainplates is most important; however, the soft spots in your deck would be more of a cosmetic than a structural problem. I'm assuming your chainplates pass through this deck and are fast secured to structures beneath the deck. I have repaired several areas of my deck across the state from you, but also in rainy Florida. I far prefer the removal of the layer of fiberglass above the wet core and replacing the core. I used a rotary tool (like a Dremel) with a cutting wheel to remove the deck top layer and scraped out the sodden core. After this task, that can be completed in a couple hours, you can brush in a thin layer of epoxy to seal your work from the afternoon thunderstorm. After positioning your new core and grinding it to a level prepared for replacing your deck plate, you can again finish your morning work with a brushing of epoxy to seal for rain. Be sure to "feather" the seam at the perimeter of your repair to extend the surface area of the bond between your new deck surface and the old so that cracks won't develop outlining your repair. Take care and joy, Aythya crew
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook