SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cored deck soft spot repair
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010
in over my head

sync is on a distinguished road
Well, I have 3 side stays on that side, and all of them are in the area of the soft spot. They are bolted directly into the deck with a small piece of aluminum ( about 4 inches long) on the inside of the cabin as a backing plate. Ive looked at other setups of chain plates where they are built into the corner of the structure and mine are not light that. My deck is just glassed into the corner of the hull and I have a single timber support right under the mast that holds up the deck. My prime concern is that if the deck gets too soft, those stays might start to come up and then Ive got a full thickness problem. My second concern and the only reason I got this deep in thought about it, is if there is water in the core causing the delamination, its only a matter of time before it spreads across more of my deck. Am I right? I am perfectly comfortable in leaving it and writing it off as a causmetic issue if it doesn't get any worse. I just won't step there if I don't need to, but Im concerned that next year, theres going to be another square foot worth of soft and the job gets bigger.

I appreciate that you walked me through the job, that helps a lot. Thanks, I guess I just needed to hear from someone who's actually done it out in the elements. I know I can attach the stays to the toe rail to do the job and I will definitely make improvements to my chain plate situation when the job is done. I plan on painting the entire deck shortly after I finish the job.

You mentioned feathering out the finish to prevent cracking, but you never mentioned actually glassing over it after its done....Would you glass it or just epoxy it since Im basically just replacing the old glass back in its place? Also, as far as getting a new piece of core to fit, is there any trick to that? There is a slight curvature to the deck and I have a feeling that its not going to be the easiest thing in the world to get a brand new piece to just fit in nicely. Any thoughts on this?
Thanks a lot for all the info so far.