SailNet Community - View Single Post - Paper Work for Buying a Boat?
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010

whateverfun2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Aaron-
" I have a problem with saving large amounts of money at dollars an hour 10.00 an hour." I very much understand that situation. Just bear in mind, if the deck has delaminated, or the hull has extensive blistering, or there's a problem with the keel, and you can't fix it because you need an extra thousand or three in materials (and you'll be paying yard fees and not sailing the boat while you do that work for many hours), or in the worst case you find out the boat is terminal and you have to pay a hazmat waste disposal fee to get a hauler to take it away...
Sometimes an old boat is a bargain, but sometimes it is a big surprise. Just find someone who knows enough to make sure it won't be a big surprise. And of course, look into whether you'll be required to have insurance, which may require the survey anyway. Some of them require you to use one of "their" approved surveyors, so that's something to find out ahead of time.

Very Ture...I will be getting her surveyed pretty soon her have to wait for the next check till i can do it tho...I guess the hazmat scars me the most...but I don't mind it costing me 8,000 in materials because I can piece it out 500 here 2000 there, and honestly working on the boat is as enjoyable as sailing the boat for me..but I do understand what your saying and this way at least what I know i have to fix by getting the survey.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook