SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chartplotter Vs Ipad Vs PC
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010

deandavis1 is on a distinguished road
Chartplotter Vs Ipad Vs PC

While I would love radar for now I cant afford it so I'm looking at my chartplotter options. I already own a PC and have a USB GPS head, but from what I can see the best option is to buy an iPad with Navionics HD.

Given the three options the navigation ability seems to be there with each option so this is really based on value for money. Is my logic sound with the following:

1. Chartplotter (min $1500)
Pros - best in a marine environment, future radar, possible to get integrate with instruments and autopilot.
Con - Most expensive and technology changing.

2. PC (min $700)
Pro - cheapest option utilising existing hardware
Con - have to buy charts and program at almost the cost of other hardware options. Some NMEA integration with extra $400 hardware box. Daylight readability is average. Interface and physical set up the worst.

3. iPad (min $900)
Pro - I get the added benefit of owning/using an iPad. Navionics HD maps and low cost application. Great interface with future expansion. Some N2K interfacing later with things like iNavX (and hopefully Navionics future versions ;o) ). Other applications like Anchor alarm.

Con - Worried about it falling in the water. No future Radar integration. A little worried if it actually shows all the information required.

What do other people think?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook