SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010

bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about bubb2 has a spectacular aura about
I am a lucky Man

As many of you know I have had a health problem that has limited my sailing.

Well I went sailing today. Was out from 7pm to all most midnight. This is because I have a Lvad (heart pump) that maintains a constant speed and does not compensate for the heat of the day, and it has been hot here for the whole month of July.

This evening brought gusts into the mid 20's and the boat was returning mid to high 7's. I was very happy with the way the boat was preforming and was enjoying myself.

The lucky part was, My 13 year old son took me sailing. He handled every thing on the boat by himself. From backing out of the slip to raising sails to sail trim and keeping the boat on course like it was on a rail. I could not have been more proud of the way my son was handling the boat.

When it came time to come back into the marina he asked me to take the wheel and point her into the wind so he could bring the Main sail down and pack into the stack pack. We were in irons and he was on the cabin top bringing down the sail when he saw that I was having trouble starting the Yanmar. I keep pushing the button but nothing was happening. I told my son we have a problem. He said Dad you may want to turn the key on.

I told him thank you for taking me sailing. He said. Dad I needed the practice, we have a big sail coming up at the end of Aug. Which we do! I don't think it is going to long before he asks for the keys to take the boat out alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Never Forgotten

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bubb2; 07-25-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook