SailNet Community - View Single Post - Compare/Contrast Catalina 30 & Islander Bahama 30
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010

SailingLazy is on a distinguished road
Question Compare/Contrast Catalina 30 & Islander Bahama 30

I'm a fairly novice sailor (3 years of crewing on a 32 Pearson in the local beer can races), in the market for a 30 foot sailboat. My partner is an even more novice sailor.

We intend to be very lazy cruisers in Lake Michigan. In terms of use, we see ourselves cruising for weekends and up to 2 weeks, staying in a combination of anchorages and marinas. We're looking for a boat that is cheap enough to learn on (i.e., make stupid mistakes), and will probably sell it and move up in size a bit in 5 years.

We've seen a bunch of 25+ year old boats, and have two that we are honing in on. The first is a 1982 Catalina, listing here:

The second is a 1982 Islander Bahama:]

Both boats have considerable advantages and disadvantages. The Islander is sitting on the hard and most of the lines are cooked - including the main halyards. However, it appears to be set up well for cruising and includes a dinghy. The Catalina is in the water, being used. A sale would include the slip for the rest of the season (2 more months in MI). The Catalina is roomier, but definitely a daysailor/dock queen. The Islander has better sails, a slightly bigger engine, and slightly more shallow draft, but the interior layout and storage isn't nearly as good.

Any thoughts on which boat is a better buy? Which will hold it's value better? Which is best suited to the cruising I've described?

Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook