SailNet Community - View Single Post - Canadian Tide and Current Tables, Fisheries and Oceans Candada
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010

hangupndrive is on a distinguished road
Canadian Tide and Current Tables, Fisheries and Oceans Candada

Hi Folks-

I thought I would pass on some information regarding the Canadian Tide and Current Tables issued by the Canadian Government. The times listed for tide and current predictions are in Standard time. That is, they don't recognize Daylight Savings Time. For example, the low-tide prediction for Port Townsend, Washington on July 26, 2010 is -1 ft at 9:51am.

My $.99 tide table from Fisheries Supply says the same tide will be at 10:51.

I discovered this when, over the past two weeks I was fighting current when I should have been riding it.

I figure most recreational mariners would not see "PST Z+8" at the top of each page. Or, if they do, they wouldn't really think about it. Most of us go by the time our watch is set to unless we're crossing in to another time zone.

I went so far as to call the Canadian Hydrographic Service who set me straight. They were actually very cordial and appreciative of my calling. They went on to say that they highly encourage mariners to report any percieved discrepancies.

I hope some cruisers will find this information valuable. To say there are strong currents in NW waters is a gross understatement!

Doug Powers
S/V Totoro
Seattle, WA
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook