SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bright-work refinish with Honey Teak, advice?
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010

mrybas is on a distinguished road
Well I thought today would was "The Day" to start laying Honey Teak on all of the teak attached to the boat. We (4 guys all with some experience and one who is a woodworker for a living) started laying on Honey at a little before 8 AM. It was around 70 deg when we began laying on Honey and the forecast called for a high in the mid 80's with low humidity (a cool day compared to the recent weather). It took about 40 mins to make a lap around the boat working in teams of two (one on deck, one on scaffolding x port/starboard). By the time we started to lay on the second coat (wet on wet, 40 mins after the first coat) a few bubbles started to show up. Applying the second coat knocked down the first coat bubbles.....but by the time the second coat was finished bubbles started to really show up . We knocked all of these bubbles down by finger-tip coated in Flow Fluid (HT thinner), trying to work the material down into the open pores. However, the bubbles just kept coming up. Now I have literally thousands of bubbles! We decided to call it quits and let the HT cure, sand the bubbles off, and try again another day. I have the feeling that we're going to be fighting bubbles all over again on the next coat. Any thoughts????

Rich H- If I understand you correctly, less catalyst will make the batch kick faster? So, you recommend less catalyst for verticals, which will speed up the 'kick"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0539.jpg (40.2 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0540.jpg (23.9 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0541.jpg (39.8 KB, 138 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook