SailNet Community - View Single Post - Batteries drinking a liter of water each / Xantrex
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010

granche1 is on a distinguished road
Batteries drinking a liter of water each / Xantrex

First of all I am pretty new to boat ownership and 12 volt systems so please bear with me. I recently acquired my fathers crealock 37 after it had experienced a few years of neglect, unattended in mexico. In December I went down to mexico and after a couple of months, got the boat back cruising. The LifeLine AGM batteries seemed toasted so I replaced them with 5 marine flooded deepcycle batteries from walmart and headed on out for 5 months. Great times were had! I left the boat in Puerto Vallarta in a slip plugged in with the charger set to float. The charger is a Xantrex Trucharge 40 and it is set on the flooded setting with the temperature set to hot. I have been gone from the boat now for 4 months but I have an inexperienced friend who has been kind enough to add water to the batteries every 2 months. It seems that the batteries are taking a liter of water to get back up to full. Does this indicate that the batteries are being over charged and if so, why would my charger be doing that? Thanks for any insight. grant
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook