SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Guillaume de Verdier

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post

ps - don't talk to me about chines.....been there, done that, whats more still wearing the t-shirt.....(vds34, multi chine steel.....hate to think how slow she'd be if the chines make her faster..)
I would have said the same thing some years back. Then it come Guillaume de Verdier, a very young architect (a kid really ) designed a revolutionary class 40 made of wood and with chines. He said the chines would help the boat to be faster.

I (and I am sure a lot of guys) thought he was crazy and that the chines were there because it was the less expensive way to build that boat.

We were wrong, the boat was a winner, then he made Safran, the fastest of the actual Open 60 generation (excluding the new boats that are being launched), again a boat with chines. Now all designers are putting chines on their boats, and not only on the Open 60 and class 40, but also on the new Volvo 70.

The Open 60 lead again the way in hull design, not only in what regards the use of chines, but in what regards the type of transom. Have a good look at the new generation Volvo 70. All of them also have broad transom and that as nothing to do with the boat being wide or not. It was to do with the way the transom is laid .

guillaume verdier - architecture navale - Accueil

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook