SailNet Community - View Single Post - 56 mph on the hudson
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
Fortunately it was only a few minutes. The most disconcerting part was that there was so little room as it is just a river.
Ja -- you can't exactly heave to or run before it very long. We had the same conundrum, caught on a lee shore by the dam -- try to claw parallel to the shore and away from the storm, or tack and run into a box canyon the storm was occupying. I tried the first option, and it nearly wrecked us -- the heeling force robbed the boat of all headway, and we just slid sideways toward the rocks. On the third attempt, by heading DOWN toward shore, we got enuf way on to snap the nose back thru the wind and beam-reached our way out into open water. Bad mistake on my part, thinking we could jink along on a close reach in 60 mph winds.

Did dropping anchor get discussed as a strategy? Even in very high winds, the bower should hold on flat water. I'm trying to move "tactical anchoring" up our list of emergency responses; it buys time, which can prevent a cascade of bad decisions. It's just not my first instinct. My first instinct is to maneuver the boat.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook