SailNet Community - View Single Post - 56 mph on the hudson
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Catalina 27 sailboat for sale

It has a cutaway forefoot, lead, bolted on.

I thought of dropping the anchor but not for long.
Firstly I has asked the owner about the anchor and he said he had one but had never used it. I had also asked him about the sails and he said they were fine. I found out during use that the Genny was not cut right and would not hoist all the way to say nothing of the fact that the roller furler was jamming.. The main had no reefing at least none he had ever tested. The head was supposed to be good too, I specifically asked about it before the trip. After a couple of days I take a look see my self and notice it does not flush and looks nasty. I ask about it and he said it was working before. I ask when he had last pumped the holding tank. He said never as they had the boat for 3 years and never used the head but his son was up last weekend. I asked if his son a brought a girl with him. The answer was yes so being a sexest snob I predicted the holding tank was probably full after three years.
So given what I knew about the boat the chance of my going on the fore-deck in almost 50 knot winds with the boat healing about 80 degrees was very low. If there were angry natives on shore with poison arrows I would have considered it but in Yonkers NY I figured that was a low probability, but you never know.

Last edited by davidpm; 07-27-2010 at 07:09 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook