SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bimini replacement ideas and opinions
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road
Bimini replacement ideas and opinions

Gang,

I'm considering replacing the bimini and frame on my Cal 27 Mk3. The boat has bridgedeck sheeting and there is not quite standing headroom under the boom in it's current position(probably about 5"5". My current bimini only covers the aft portion of the cockpit because if it were further forward the boom would be in the way.

I'm considering having the boom raised about 1 foot and a new mainsail made as my current main is on the list for replacment as well.

So far I've been quoted from 900 to 1900 for the bimini and stainless frames not including raising the boom, etc.

We primarily day sail on Tampa Bay and the sun is killer here. Am I being silly for wanted to raise the boom and have standing room under the bimini?

Would like people to weigh in on the merits of standing headroom under the bimini versus more shade, less windage, more sail area, pain of entering the cockpit???.

The Cal 27 Mkiii has a very large cockpit compared to a Oday 27 or Catalina 27 for reference...maybe 2' longer or more.

I think I'll go down to the boat and take some photos if people are interested in the thread.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook