SailNet Community - View Single Post - I am not overpressed with sail
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010
1975 Newport 28

jaschrumpf is on a distinguished road
I am not overpressed with sail

Went out singlehanding again last night from White Rocks Marina in Rock Creek, outside Baltimore, MD. Last week when I did this the winds got up gusting to 20, and I struggled to control the weather helm and deal with the sail trim.

This time I went out with a Cajun tiller tender (a flat 4' bungee cord I stretched across the cockpit) and winch handles to hand. I also made sure the backstay tension was off a bit from last time. The wind got up again, amazingly, though not so bad -- only gusts to 18 kt instead of 20.

It was quite a difference. Being able to leave the tiller and not have the boat fly up into the wind was a great improvement, and being able to winch that genoa in when necessary was just what the doctor ordered.

One question: it seemed that by oversheeting the genoa just a bit helped cut the weather helm by quite a bit. Could this be due to spoiling the air flow and making the foresail more resistant to the wind, pulling the center of force more forward? I did quite a bit of close reaching/hauling, and it really seemed to help.

All in all a much nicer ride. I got some nice photos too, of the sunset and a boat in the distance, and a much closer photo of one of the racers heading back into the creek. I'll get 'em posted this evening.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Monrovia, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook