SailNet Community - View Single Post - hf radio modified marine or modified ham
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010

oceanscapt is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to oceanscapt
Some rigs are legal on both marine and ham bands (SGC comes to mind) so getting it modified for ham transmit freqs isn't a problem - legally or operationally.

Many ham rigs can be modified for marine use but you'll need to check to make sure. In some cases it's simply lifting a jumper wire, others require cutting a diode, and some require reprogramming. The important thing is to make sure that the radio your choice can transmit on ham frequencies. Most marine and ham radios are general coverage receivers.

I know of no one who's been visited by the FCC for the expressed purpose of verifying that the SSB is not modified. In most cases, the modified radio will sound the same as the type accepted. Manufacturers like ICOM, Yaesu, or Kenwood produce radios for most frequencies.

I carried a modifed ICOM 751A for a number of years and had no reported problems of audio quality, frequency stability, or other discernible features.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook