SailNet Community - View Single Post - I need a rudder that won't drive me crazy
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
Boom Vang?

More thoughts: This boat has no boom vang. The main sheet is attached to the middle of the boom so there is very little pulling the boom down. Something I had not earlier considered, as I was used to my HobieCat, which doesn't need a boom vang. The main sheet attaches near the rear of the boom and is easily held down. Anyway, I was watching the sail in the high winds, I had no twist in the sail and no way to get any twist. The sail was just one big sweeping scoop. Once I reefed the main, I had sail twist, things acted much better and even though the jib was down, I could point much better into the wind.

It just makes me think I should create a boom vang, rivet a stainless steel strap to the bottom of the boom and attach a pulley to it. I remember the Hobie would never really take off until I pulled the rear of the boom down with the main sheet. Maybe that is really the issue of the main having no power and the boat being so slow. Maybe the main is so cupped, it just knocks the boat over, rather than moving it forward no?
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook