SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newport ( formerly Marthas Vineyard ) 0r bust
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Newport ( formerly Marthas Vineyard ) 0r bust

Sorry to have hijacked the other thread with our exploits and adventures. Decided to continue on its own thread. Last seen Haleakula was sailing down (West to East actually) the LI Sound from Port Jefferson ( areally great stop off place ) to Greenport located at the far end of the north fork of Long Island. Wins southwest at 12-15 steady..clocking along at 8.3 aided by the tidal current for 6 hours then 5.3 when it switched. Beautiful day saling.

Us Chessy Bay sailors dont have to deal with much current and tide, however up here it is a major part of planning where and when you are going. For those who dont know at the end of Long Island when you draw a line over to Watch Hill, Rhode Island that is where the Atlantic Ocean meets the LI Sound. There are two main passages through rocky shoals One is called the Race and runs from watch Hill to Plum Island with about 9 passages along is way. The other is called Plum Gut( which we went through with no problem last year on our way back from Block Island) between Orient, LI aand Plum Island. At these places typically it is rough especially when wind and tide oppose. So we decided to head for the famous Sag Island ( home of the rich and famous Hamptons) We are going through Plum Gut on an incomming tide against us and the SW breeze is really not opposing the tide, so it shouldnt be too bad....NOT. First we reef the main as the wind picks up to 20. Looking ahead i see a few whitecaps in the Gut so then we pull into a "bight" near shore drop the main sail and put out a small reefed jib for steerage, still going about 6 knots and turn on the engine. We hit the "Gut" where the depths go from the 80 ft depth of the Sound to a scoured bottom called sand waves of over 300 feet for 2 miles. Wind is now 30 plus directly shifted on the bow. Waves are 8-10 spray everywhere. All in the space of 15 minutes and 1/2 mile. We slog our way in trhough the the GUT and slog is the word. Our C&C has never been known to pound, but we did hit a couple of waves fairly thoroughly. We decided on Sag Harbor as it looked like we were going to have to hole up an extra day as they were calling for 30 to 35 knotts, so we gave up Greenport and headed to the "harbor of the stars". We bounced our way in Shelter Island going 6 knots,current now with us as we turned the point, with a 25 knott wind on the bow. Current is a wonderfull thing. As we came in Sag Harbor we saw Billy Joels boats, Keith Urbans, Steven Spielbergs and about 100 ( no lie) mega yachts) all with crews and tight shorted collegfe girls swabbing decks and serving drinks and cocktails on them. We must of looked like the Clampetts from Baltimore. So we have been tied up at the snooty but not really. Actually very nice yacht club and people have made us feel very welcome. Ate at three great restaurants. (B Smiths has one here which we did not go to as there is one in DC.) Since we had to spend an extra day because of the weather we have decided to go to Newport instead of the Vineyard due to it would give us an extra 40 miles to travel as we turn around and head back to the Chesapeake on Sunday. So the plan is with the front through a fresh 15 knott NW wind to sail out into the Atlantic and the Rhode Island/ Block Island Sound over to Newport (45 miles) and mooor for 2 days. Newport is the other sailing Capital of the US next to Annapolis.

We are relaxing sailing having fun and have lots of stories and pictures. I will post when we get back home as most of my other posts have come from my DROID phone so I have not used my laptop. Our friends who started with us..got delayed in Baltimore are now two days behiond us and are at Port Jefferson and we hope to hook up with them for our trip back to the Chesapeake. Hope I am not boring anyone. More to come

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook