SailNet Community - View Single Post - Tiki 36, Wharram design catamaran
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010
Siren 17

danjarch will become famous soon enough
Thomas Forth Jones had some good things to say about Wharram's designs. And he should know he built a couple of them as well as sailed them for years. In my opinion, and I'll start by saying that I've always like Wharrem's designs but it's best strengths is it's biggest weaknesses.

It's biggest strengths are that the designs are both simple to build and sail while still getting high marks for stability and strength offshore. Unfortunantly even when built by professional builders they still look homemade-ish. They're also not the most accomadating boats in the comfortable interiors. Add in that the vast majority of sailors are never going offshore and they don't have a good resale.

Most people want more space so opt for a catamaran that has a built up bridge deck. So unless your really planning to keep the boat on an anchorage most of the time when your not sailing to exotic locales then your going to pay a high price to keep a boat on a slip that's not overly comfortable for weekend cruising or parties.
!! WARNING !! The above information is to be used by intelligent people only. If you are Stupid, could be considered a moron, or otherwise. You are instructed to disregard this information and seek the help of a licensed and bonded professional.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook