SailNet Community - View Single Post - Flushing Outboards while on a Mooring?
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2010

LinekinBayCD is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Really you guys flush every time? Hmm I've had outboards on the ocean for well over 35 years and never once flushed a single one of them after use. Sure, I flush at the end of season but that's it.

I have never had one single outboard fail me due to internal corrosion. My current Johnson 4hp twin cylinder is over 11 years old now, still has to original impeller, still spits a steady stream and runs perfectly cool. The salt water concerns over outboards are way, way over blown. My brother has 40k worth of engines on his center console that also never get flushed after use and again are in perfect condition and have never given him an ounce of problems. I've spent a good deal of time on lakes and I don't notice that the engines on lakes are any older, as a lot, than the engines I see running on the ocean... Just some food for thought..

My inboard diesel also never gets the raw water side flushed and it too runs fine without it.

It can't hurt to flush but I think it's overkill and can certainly take time away from the fun side of sailing..

P.S. My next door neighbor has a 1977 Johnson on his dinghy that still runs like a top and has been used and not flushed after each use since he bought it in 1977. The paint looks like crap, and it's on it's umpteenth starter cord, but the motor still runs great..
+1. Never flush until the end of the season. Never had a problem. This is in Maine, don't know about other areas but doubt that the guys in FL do all the time either.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook