SailNet Community - View Single Post - Islander 36 vs. Islander Freeport 36
View Single Post
Old 05-31-2006

cbjwarner is on a distinguished road
Islander 36 vs. Islander Freeport 36

Sailors,

I am the Marine who posted about a week ago. Thank you all for responding. I have a few questions. I like the idea of owning a classic racer/cruisers. I plan on joining the yacht club to race for fun, but I also want to be able to cruise anywhere I want to offshore. I am interested in the Islander 36 and the Catalina 38. They seem to be the very serious classic racer/cruisers. I am sold on the old boats designed and built in the 1970's.

I would also like a protected rudder - preferably a skeg mounted rudder. I plan on going aground at least once a week. My major limitation is the shallow (sheol?) marina up New River, where I plan on slipping for the next two years. Max draft must be 5'4" or less. This rules out both the Islander 36 and the Catalina 38, unless they are modified ($6-8k for a keel job).

What can you tell me about the Islander Freeport 36 designed by Robert Perry? Did they use the same molds for the hull as the I36? Is it still a fast boat? or just rare and roomy? I understand there were less than 200 built.

What other boats should I look at? Are there others that fit into this category that I don't know about yet? There must be. I have only been in the sailing community for about five minutes. Please enlighten me.

S/F
Christopher

Last edited by cbjwarner; 05-31-2006 at 01:49 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook