SailNet Community - View Single Post - Relevance of VAT when selling a boat in EU
View Single Post
post #8 of Old 08-02-2010
Zanshin

myocean - yes, it is real. If you are German, for example, you would have to do an official "Abmeldung" from Germany, or elsewhere in Europe prove that you no longer reside in the EU; this is important so that you can, upon return, state that you are an expat returning. It would be in your best interests to consult a professional tax person in your country of residence - it would be terrible to return after a 5-year circumnavigation to be told that, for tax purposes, you never left and you would be liable for the VAT of your boat immediately upon entering the EU!
If I sell my current boat (status is VAT paid) and purchase a new one I will do the same thing - get everything without VAT and export it, then after finishing my trip around the globe re-enter and have a legal, VAT paid, boat. I currently have an official residence outside of the EU so don't have any problems "proving" that I'm an expat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome