SailNet Community - View Single Post - Katadyn Water Makers ?
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010

crazyfish is on a distinguished road
I have an 80E installed on the boat and used it quite a bit when cruising the Pacific coast of Mexico.

They require a bit of maintenance to insure the membrane stays viable. If they are not going to be used for a period of time they need to be pickled and the pickling needs to renewed from time to time.

One concern is that you do not want the membrane exposed to any oil/gas/diesel that might be picked up on the intake so tended not to use it when anchored in a populated harbor.

80E makes 80 gallons/day which sounds like a lot but its just over 3 gallons/hour. You probably don't want to listen to it making water all day and evening. So something that makes water a bit faster would be a benefit.
These also use quite a bit of energy. I had enough solar installed to meet all of the draws on the energy budget (refrigeration, radios, lighting, etc) except when running the water maker. Would typically run it when I knew I would be running the engine and the alternator would be recharging the batteries the next day and/or while motoring from anchorage to anchorage.

An alternative that I would look it at would be the Spectra line. My understanding is that they produce more water and they are more energy efficient.

Regards
Marc Hall
Crazy Fish, Crealock 37, Hull 207, San Diego
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook