SailNet Community - View Single Post - THe perfect boat
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2010
Catalina 36 Liveaboard

thorrad is on a distinguished road
Hauled and surveyed. Two of the most important words for the boat buyer... You CAN talk about money first but you might wait till you get the survey results. They are the most important bargaining chip you will have as you finalize the deal. Great info about the condition of your boat will help both with making sure you get a great deal and in keeping the boat safe and comfortable as an owner.

You might just wait till you hear about condition and then talk about money. Getting the owner to back waaaay off his price is easier if you have not already been making side deals with him. I had an instance where I was looking at a house on land. I had loved the owner and he and I had a great rapport but when the inspection was done we found out the entire water delivery system needed to be replaced it would cost 25 grand. He would not budge on the price since we had been talking about all of the great things in the house already and he knew I was interested. It cost me the house and him the sale. I would get the survey first.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook