SailNet Community - View Single Post - Safe (relatively) location from a hurricane
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010
Unpaid Intern

josrulz is on a distinguished road
Safe (relatively) location from a hurricane

Hi all,
I thought it a good time to ask this question, since we don't currently have a hurricane bearing down on us. I think that once there is a hurricane, that's a bit late to ask these questions, though hopefully we won't have one here any time soon.

Anyway, our boat lives off the South River in a community marina (it's close by and almost free). It's a well-protected creek (though not a hurricane hole) and the docks are reasonably well-maintained, but they are fixed and the slips are small with short pilings. We'd have a very difficult time dealing with any sort of real surge.

So if we were to receive a direct hit, I would think we'd have 3 basic choices:
  • Anchor the boat in a hurricane hole with a number of anchors, etc.
  • Bring the boat to a well-protected marina with floating docks that have very high pilings and nice large slips (hard to come by)
  • Haul the boat at a marina that actually has some land well-above sea-level
I think my preference would be for one of the latter two, where it would be easier to attend to the boat (if needed and relatively safe), but I don't know which marinas/yards might be worth checking out. Some of the big yards in Annapolis, I've noticed, aren't more than a couple feet about the level of the creeks on which they reside. So while they might be nice, professional, boat yards--I'd suspect real surge would get the best of them.

Anyway, I'm not asking for anyone's secret hurricane hole. We're just trying to formulate a basic "plan" for what to do if we get hit with a big storm. There are many prep-lists available for how to prepare the boat. But we're looking for some suggestions on where to do so, since our home-base marina, is probably inadequate. I'm asking this in the Chesapeake Bay part of the forum because we're really asking about local knowledge here, I think.

Any thoughts/ideas on this?
Thanks!
-J