SailNet Community - View Single Post - Safe (relatively) location from a hurricane
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010
Old Fart

DwayneSpeer is on a distinguished road
not an expert

Let me preface this by saying I've never been thru a hurricane nor expect to here in the northwest but here goes.

Anchoring may work but you would need loooooooooooong anchor lines to overcome the storm surge. Plus 4 anchors put out at the 4 corners.
Using a marina as you described may be an answer but most damage done in a marina is from other boats that weren't tied up correctly, break loose and bang into other boats. Check all other boats in your vicinity.
Hauling out is probably the worst choice as your windage is then very large. You'll get blown over.
The one really good choice that I've ever heard of was a specially built yard where the boats are lowered into holes with only their masts left exposed. Don't suppose that is a choice where you are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey, can one of you guys pass me a crab?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook