SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Liveaboard Between 32 and 36 feet

6K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  thesnort 
#1 ·
I am hoping to get some suggestions for a quality sailboat in this range to live aboard. From what I've seen so far, the Catalina 320 looks very comfortable. Is there any other brand and model I should be considering? Offshore capability is not a must, but would be very welcome, if there's something out there that doesn't break the bank. 80K is about the limit (including refit).
Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
These three are just a tad longer but better liveaboards IMHO

Krogen 38 check the centreboards carefully!

CSY 37 get the B layout!

Rafiki

All three have 140 to 150 gallons water LUXURY are cutters and are solid livearoard cruising boats,.

All 3 have a bit of character too !

#7 ·
There are a lot of boats in that size range that would work as a liveaboard. Some will be bluewater capable, others will not. C&C, Tartan, Pearson, Ericson, O'Day, Hunter, Catalina, Jeanneau, Beneteau, Canadian Sailcraft, Pacific Seacraft and others all made boats that would qualify that would be in your budget range and size range.

It would help if you said how many people will be living aboard the boat. It would also help if you said if you had any features, like an aft head, shower, three-cabin layout, etc., that are absolute musts. It would help if you said where you are living aboard, since draft can be an issue in some areas.

#8 ·
"It would help if you said how many people will be living aboard the boat. It would also help if you said if you had any features, like an aft head, shower, three-cabin layout, etc., that are absolute musts. It would help if you said where you are living aboard, since draft can be an issue in some areas."

Of these points, the only one that matters is that I prefer a keel that provides a stiffer ride; not looking to gunkhole.
The main point is accommodation comfort. I don't know of any sailboat in this size range that looks as nice as the 320. If there is a boat in the price range that is similar to the this, I'd like to check it out.
WindPath Fractional Boat Club - Catalina 320 mkII Image Gallery

#9 ·
When shopping for a boat in this size range over the past two years, I looked at the Cat 320. While initial impression was good, a closer look lead me to remove it from my short list. Storage was very poor, small V-berth, and the aft cabin while huge was awkward. The boat I bought, a Cal 33-2, is IMHO better looking, sails better, and has a much more practical layout below compared to the Cat 320. If you like the Cat 320, take a look at the Cat 34 MkII. Similar look but a better layout.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.