SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bombay 44. Anyone sailed one?
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010
Catalina 36 Liveaboard

thorrad is on a distinguished road
Bombay 44. Anyone sailed one?

I am always looking at possible next boats. Who isn't? As a liveaboard hoping to have the next boat around for many years and hoping to cruise many miles in blue water with that boat I have been looking at a bunch of different vessels.

As my financial abilities are somewhat limited, I am looking to find a boat that is sub 100k and capable of sailing the oceans. I have looked at many factory boats and for the most part find them lacking. there are lots of costal cruisers out there that work but are not rugged enough. (Just because they sailed to my home port on their own hulls doesn't mean that they are around the world capable!)

There is an interesting boat that is local to me that may be ok though. It's a Bombay 44. I have seen a few folks around here who have sailed on them and I am wondering, Is this a blue water capable boat? Or is it a costal cruiser? it looks cut up on the interior like I want my next boat to be but if it's not rugged and dependable in adverse seas I don't want it. The price is right but I am not in the market right now. Just trying to get the field winnowed down.

Anyone who has had experience with these boats, I would love to hear your take on the build, rigidity, motion, and reliability of the late 70's and early 80's versions of the Bombay 44's.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook