SailNet Community - View Single Post - Impeller hrs
Thread: Impeller hrs
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbergold View Post
I fell for all the nice spec’s that are out there about the blue Globe impellers, but what a fraud. It didn’t last more that 40 hours. Once I friend told me I should stay away from these but I didn’t listen. Know it’s my turn to alert other. I almost fried my engine. I even threw away the other one I bought for replacement. For your safety, stay with the original Yanmar black impellers.
Bingo!!!! LOTS of bad luck with Globe and lots of others with failures too...

Just a heads up..

I've tried the Globe impellers but found them very problematic. Below are some quotes and photos from another forum. My failures were the center hub spinning free of the blue impeller. This was a tough one to trouble shoot as it looked fine. The next one the tolerances were off ever so slightly and she would not "prime".

Images courtesy P. Shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by P. Shed
I was removing the sea water impeller from a M25 this morning . I do it each fall after haul out. To my surprise the impeller was cracked on every vane. This impeller was new this spring. The one I took out was a rubber type and was still like new but was old so changed it out . This is a # 815 . I would say there are only 35 hours on this impeller.

I will be taking it back tomorrow. Also going back to rubber type (black)

Sorry the pics are not the best
Images courtesy Bottomscraper:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottomscraper

I have been using the Globe Blue Run-Dry™ Impellers for years and I have been very happy with them. I usually remove them at the end of the season and they look almost new with a little discoloration. This year every single blade was cracked. I did notice that this year the center appears to be plastic rather than metal like the older ones. Here is a picture of the impeller I removed today after 1 season (about 120 hrs). It has never run dry.

It appears that they have changed materials and that these impellers are now junk. I guess I will be going back to the black ones also. Too bad they had a good product. I was considering using their motor mounts but I think I will look elsewhere.
And another:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J.
I left a dock, must have sucked a bunch of EG up while warming the engine/untieing lines. Noticed the temp was running 10° hotter than normal, stopped in the middle of the bay (no wind) to investigate. Pulled a significant plug of EG out of the strainer/intake. Reprimed the the pump and restarted the engine. Water flow out the back was not normal. Shut down again and pulled the impeller apart. The pictures show the condition of the Globe impeller. It was less than 3 months old, never run dry. It probably ran 20-25 minutes at less than full water flow and never saw temps above 170°. Not buying the 15 minutes run dry.

Just an FYI that the Globe impellers are NOT all they are CRACKED up to be..

I replace yearly... Engines are 15k my impeller is $16.00 or about the price of a 12 pack of decent beer..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Last edited by Maine Sail; 08-04-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook