SailNet Community - View Single Post - Opinions
Thread: Opinions
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Not knowing them I cannot speak to the other yachts on your prospect list but as we had a 1963 Rhodes Relient in the early and mid '70's so I can that yacht. She is a beautiful boat and still fits my vision of what a sailing yacht should look like. Unfortunately however, although over 42' LOA, the yacht's LWL is in the 29' range which does make her rather slow, at least by some standards. The yacht needs a good blow to get moving but once under way, she does carry her way and move through .seas in a stately and determined manner. A broad reach is her best point of sail and with all canvass flying--including her mizzen spinnaker, she does move right along and is certainly a thing of beauty. She is also quite endurable, if not to say comfortable, in a blow and handles weather well under a "jib 'n jigger" rig, i.e. reefed mizzen and #3 jib or, if fitted, a staysail. She will also heave-too quietly and predictably under that rig at about 60º off the wind, slowly forereaching. The yacht is lovely but with acres of brightwork requires constant maintenance and care and, frankly, tho' I dispaired giving her up, the relief of little brightwork on our subsequent yacht was gratefully welcomed.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook