SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pressure Washers
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2010
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHLucas View Post
Two years ago NJ put a law in force that makes it illeegal to wash the bottom of any boat unless you can catch all the runoff water and properly treat it. NO discharge that can run into lakes, streams, rivers, OR sewer systems or septic tanks. Enforcement was postponed 1 year, and now starts in September of this year. Essentially this means all marinas will be putting in large storage tanks and paying to haul it away at $1 a gallon. I work in the wastewater industry and have done a little freelance consulting with a marina on this issue. So far no one has succesfully demonstrated a system to meet the discharge standards. We can do it, but probably not at a cost that would beat $1 a gallon in the short term. Amortize over ten years though and we probably could get it down to $0.30 a gallon.
SO, expect to pay about $35 extra to get your boat cleaned this year if it takes 15 minutes or so.

Gary H. Lucas
By "all marinas" it sounds like you actually mean "all marinas in New Jersey." I will be hauling out in Pennsylvania, so this will not apply to me.

This fall will be the first time I haul out my boat, so I know little about the vile, stinky stuff that will come off the bottom aside from the believe that it will not include barnacles (fresh water), but will include a lot of slime and some grass. But I wonder what benefit this law provides (aside from providing artificial stimulus to your company) for boats that stay within coastal waters. I can see that boats that roam the ocean and could bring in dangerous invasive species from distant waters should have their wastewater treated. But boats that have stayed in local waters would just be putting back into the water what originated there - unless they're trying to avoid paint debris from going into the water. But I would think that's more likely to come from scraping and sanding a dry hull, which would be captured on dry tarps (like Maryland's regulations) rather than in wastewater.

So let me naively ask what's the explanation for this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)

Last edited by TakeFive; 08-04-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook