SailNet Community - View Single Post - 16' Floor and Deck Replacement. Advice Please!
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010

MIeagle is on a distinguished road
16' Floor and Deck Replacement. Advice Please!

Ok so I have a 16' rebel that I bought earlier this year. I have come to find that the flotation foam is waterlogged. So after reading on here, I wasn't sure whether to spend any time or money to replace it. But I will be having a lot of time in the fall and can appreciate a good project to challenge myself, I've decided to see what I can do. I was also considering replacing the plastic deck the boat has right now with a 1/2" Douglas Fir plywood. Is that a reasonable idea or not? I was also talking to a man at a boat factory about 30 minutes from my house and he mentioned people replacing flotation foam with those bright colored pool noodles. He said these are good because they are cheap and are very resistant to absorbing much water.

^^This is the floor right now. How would I go about removing the glass tape along the seam? Its got a pretty hard adhesive along it as well.

Also:
What are the proper steps to preparing the plywood for the floor? Would I just coat with epoxy? What products are recommended to give the ply a darker look?

Thanks for any help you may offer. I really appreciate it
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook