SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Moving boat Chicago to Milwaukee

12K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  nolatom 
#1 ·
I recently bought a Bristol 27 that I need to move from Chicago to Milwaukee. Previously I have only done daysailing. Just wondering what speed I should expect to get motoring. The B27 is 19.8' LWL, has a long keel, and an Atomic 4. It looks like a couple of 10 hour days.

#2 ·
Hull speed is about six knots, so I'd plan on four knots as your average cruising speed. That is a bit conservative, but should be good for planning purposes.

#4 ·
when i bought my first boat[first sailboat i was ever on] i set out to move it single handed 1000+ miles,i estimated 10 days[wry grin] 30 days and much much wiser i arrived more or less,i probably spent 10 days aground or lost] but except for the frequent terror i did have fun,sortof

#5 ·
Considering that it is only 86 sea miles from the marina at Northerly Island on the south side to the entrance at McKinley Marina in downtown Milwaukee, you are not looking at a long trip, which, if you choose your weather right, can probably be done in reaching conditions. There are also public marinas in Kenosha and Racine where you can probably lay over if you don't want to run through the night. For weather on the Lake see PassageWeather - Sailing Weather - Marine Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers

FWIW...

#6 ·
If you motor all the way, figure on 5.

But why would you do that? Pick your weather, and you can make 5 under sail if reaching, then motorsail only when the wind gets light.

I don't know the area, but if you have time, split it into two, or even 3 days, depending on wind direction, forecast, and where the harbors are. You'll have more fun seeing places, and getting to know your new boat.

And enjoy that classic Bristol, a well-built Carl Alberg design that'll keep you safe, and can take you anywhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.