SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat explosion finally reaches a conclusion
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2010
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
You'd have to dig back to the original thread and news reports on this, but IIRC the boat in question DID have a bilge blower and YES they used it - sparking from it may well have been the ignition source.

I don't believe the initial report found that there was anything wrong with either the refulling dock or the way the new owner filled the tanks or started his engine - so it was always going to be a finger-pointing excersise, hence the reason I posted it in the first place.

The finger is currently being pointed at:

- Surveyors of wooden boats (when I bought mine 6 months ago, I had a total of 1 to choose from.. and only because he *happened* to be the Club Safety Officer *happened* to be friendly with friends of the PO and his report *happened* to be accepted by Nautilus Marine Insurance because Club Marine wouldn't have a bar of re-insuring my "wooden boat", even though it had been on their books for decades!! )

- Petrol engines!

Hopefully this may clean out some unscrupulous Brokers (upping fees), but with an incompetent government in control of the situation, any ideas how many owners in the state (both power and sail) are no longer going to be permitted to use their boats without some form of "government approval" (read big $$$)??

It's totally insane..

Last edited by Classic30; 08-05-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook