SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who taught themselves how to sail?
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010

lancelot9898 is on a distinguished road
I bought my first sailboat (an 8.0 S2 center cockpit with a 2.5 foot fixed keel) having never been on a sailboat before in my life. Up until that time I'ld always enjoyed the water and had owned a 16 ft AL fishing boat with 25 hp outboard which I used to explore a large lake in south central Va. When I got a government job in DC and moved to the Cheaspeake Bay area the best means to explore those waters was by sail and thus my adventure into sailing begin. After buying the sailboat the prior owners helped us sail the boat from Annapolis to Herrington Harbour and that was my first sail...ever. During the next year I read as many books as possible and explored many creeks along the Cheaspeake going aground many times with that 2.5 foot draft. After a couple of years, I sold the S2 and bought a larger sailboat and still have that same boat today some 25 years latter and have expanded my cruising area to the east coast of the US even though my home base remains the Cheaspeake. Plus you never stop learning.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook