SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2 a.m. swim proves deadly
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
When I was a kid 'sailing' with my Dad on a hot day with no wind, I suggested that I jump in for a swim. He told me that if the wind picked up even a little, I wouldn't be able to swim fast enough to catch the boat even with bare poles. We were in a 21 ft swing keel at the time.

I had the advantage of growing up sailing since I was 5 years old with parents who were both excellent sailors. I learned a lot from their instruction and experience. If I hadn't had that experience, and I was out on a boat on a lovely, hot and humid night on the great lakes with a couple of attractive females and a few beers in me, I can imagine that I would have thought it was a great idea to suggest that we all shed our clothes and have a quick swim.

Here are some guesses. The victims were young. They were drinking. The only reason the women survived is that they would most likely have had a higher body fat % and may have been able to avoid hypothermia longer than the men. The women also likely had a lower alcohol blood level than the men.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook