SailNet Community - View Single Post - I need a rudder that won't drive me crazy
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2010

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
Just got back from a week of sailing. I have several conclusions. The biggest of which is the person who designed this boat, never sailed. Unless you are sailing down wind, the air off the jib blows the back side of the main. If you let it out farther, it flaps. Based on this, I moved the jib cars about 8 inches outward. The boat acts much better. I've confirmed with a knot stick proper jib trim and this position works much much better. It also helps the boat handle much better.
The rudder stalls easily, no solution yet, other than don't turn it more than about 10 or 15 degrees. Its not all bad, sailing into the wind as hard as I could, I had the rudder clamped dead straight. As the wind would shift, the boat would heel over and round up slightly. As it would level out, it would turn down wind. This meant the boat would track a course, self correcting a few degrees all by its self. I went for 1.5 miles - one side of the lake to the other without touching tiller. Who needs an autopilot? But I would much rather have a rudder that controls the boat. I don't like the feeling of not being in control. It makes it difficult to push the boat. You stay away from everything and everyone because you don't know if the boat is going to turn or have a mind of its own.
I did run the Hobie sail. Put it up the first day and never looked back. It sails better with the bigger sail - 30% bigger, but the boat is still slow. Even in moderate winds when I'm not even close to pushing hull speed, I watched a larger Hunter leave me like I was going backwards - about 3 times faster than I was going. I did get a chance to push the boat, ran with the stays in the water just for fun. Not sure it was going any faster than a more normal heeling. Didn't have the knot stick out that time. Had it out later and did confirm I was able to hit 5 knots for a short bit, which should be hull speed. It takes a really strong wind to get over about 3 - 3.5 knots. Makes for some very slow, hot days out on the lake. But better than being at work.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook