SailNet Community - View Single Post - If not Pacific Seacraft...what?
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010

Loos1 is on a distinguished road
If not Pacific Seacraft...what?

New to Sailnet...my first thread here. So a little backround..

I do not have bigger boat experience except for a 1 week charter with my brother on the Chesapeake 25 yrs ago. We slept out and nightsailed, practiced anchoring, etc., it was a great experience. Other than that, I have only sailed a Laser for two summers as a teen, and a Force 5 for 3 summers, also about 25 yrs. ago. I'd say I have lots of experience in all conditions on the dinghys, goofing around, sailing in aNYthing!

Okay, so now I want to sail around the world... :-) Well, one day maybe.. For now I'd like to learn to cruise, and acquire the skills and knowledge necessary to become a first rate captain, and gain the confidence to safely move on to the next step. But where to start?

Have been researching various boat manufacturers, and sizes, types. And keep coming back to Pacific Seacraft. I like the double enders, and while I am clearly not ready for passagemaking, since that is the ultimate goal, gaining experience with the type of boat I hope to one day possess seems partly reasonable at least. I've settled on 28-35', with my current lust for the PSC 34, hopefully something 1995 or newer. So I guess my main question is, as the title indicates, what boats would you Pacific Seacraft lovers consider seriously if you were to buy again? Another Pacific Seacraft, or what else perhaps?

About the only other manufacturers of recent vintage that interest me are:

Morris yachts- gorgeous, out of my price range though.

Malo- very fine manufacturer it seems, can they even be found in the US?

Najad- same problem

Tayana- nice boats, but seems 37' is standard, and that is too big for me for now I'd say.

34' might be too big for me for now as well.

Anyway, I'll have LOts of followup questions to any who are willing to share their experience and provide input.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook