SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reverse Woes
Thread: Reverse Woes
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010

dhays is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaiaOrion View Post
I have a 28 foot Ontario, she's a three blade prop , and I cannot get her to turn when pulling out of our berth, she seems to want to go to starboard what ever I do.....any suggestions? I only have about one boat length to turn the stern to port and get the bow pointed down stream to the lake...right now my wife walks the bow down to the end of the dock, gives her a push and jumps on, not the best manouvre .
Others have mentioned prop walk, but what about that "downstream" part? Sounds like there might be a current that is flowing across your stern port to starboard that may be part of your problem. If you have a left-handed prop, then that would simply compound your problem.

You could try and loop a spring line mid-ship on the port side and rather than have your wife walk the bow, just maintain tension on the line as you back out to keep you from swinging to starboard. Once you are out in the channel, release on end of the line and retrieve it on board.

The other option is to back in. I'm not good at this myself, but with practice you could be and it would make getting out a breeze.

One caution about using high reverse throttle to get rubber bite, keep a firm hold on your tiller or wheel to keep the rudder from swinging hard to the stop.

Dave
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328
My Blog on
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook