SailNet Community - View Single Post - computer problems at server??
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2010

looking4wind is on a distinguished road
I'm quite sad that my first post ever has nothing to do with sailing.

One of my biggest pet peeves is when a few people are having problems with a site, some moron has to chime in with "What browser are you using?".

I am a network engineer, and additionally, my company, in which I own, does web design, asp.net, php, vb.net, ms sql and mysql development. And search engine optimization.

This site uses vBulletin/MySql - one of the most popular forum software/database solutions in the world. I browse many forums using this combination at work and home, on Macs, Pc's, using IE/Safari/Firefox, and I can tell you as I've been "lurking" here, the last couple of weeks this site has been SLOW!.

And slow on all platforms.

The problem is with the ads or the tracking (stats.ads.is). No question about it. Not IE, connection, or anything else.

Hopefully soon I will make a post on a sailing matter.

Mark

PS - IE7 and IE8 have about 70-80% of the market share. That makes it the DEFACTO STANDARD. Regardless of what w3c or any other organization says.

PSS - Many people may view this site in a security sensitive work setting, AND CAN ONLY view it in IE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lydanynom View Post
HTML and CSS are written to standards. Microsoft declines to adhere to these standards. If that failure to follow the rules negatively impacts functionality, how is it the responsibility of the content developer? If the design of the browser's rendering engine results in memory leaks and massive inefficiency, how is that the responsibility of the content developer?

You can be as petulant about it as you like, but if you choose to use a broken product then the responsibility is yours.

Last edited by looking4wind; 08-07-2010 at 09:40 PM. Reason: grammar error
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook