SailNet Community - View Single Post - Installing a Cleat... Need Help
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010

BlueWaterMD is on a distinguished road
Installing a Cleat... Need Help

I just bought a 17 foot fishing boat. Now don't worry, I am still a sailor. I just like to do a little fishing from time to time. That being said, I respect your judgement about boat maintenance much more than over on the fishing forum.

The problem is the previous owner partially pulled out the rear cleat and bent the screws when he forgot to untie the rear cleat when leaving a dock. There is no access to the cleat from inside the boat, and to make matters worse the boat is completely foam filled - not foam cored, but filled with foam to make it "unsinkable." To properly replace the cleat I would need to cut a big hole in the boat, dig out a ton of very hard closed-cell foam, install the cleat, and then patch the hole. I really don't want to have to do that.

Can I reinstall a new cleat using screws instead of bolts. The boat is kept on a trailer and rarely be tied up to a dock. When tied up it will only be for short periods of time in calm water (generally loading and unloading the boat).

Thanks for your help, even if it is for a stinkpot.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook