SailNet Community - View Single Post - Reverse Woes
Thread: Reverse Woes
View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Lots of good advice on this thread, but the best seems to be using prop-walk to your advantage.

Reversing used to give me fits during the first 2 years that I sailed keel boats. Fortunately, I received some very good advice during an instructor's course that has served me well ever since.

From a standing start, reverse at full power UNTIL you feel the boat start moving in the direction that you wish. Then throttle back to your desired speed and steer as required.

My caution is that I have never tried this with a standard 3-bladed prop. Also, I KNOW that it won't work if the prop shaft is off-centre, as is the case with many C & C's.

A long-term solution might be to consider installing a Kiwi folding prop. Our boat came with one already installed, and we experience only slight prop walk to starboard when in reverse. After coming out with us, my buddy installed one and reports that reverse prop-walk issues have pretty much disappeared.

Still, the immediate solution may be to reverse as I suggested above.

Hope this helps.

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook