SailNet Community - View Single Post - Why all the fuss about mcgregor 26's
View Single Post
post #10 of Old 06-04-2006
I sail a MacX, 1998, mostly on lakes, and a few times on San Francisco Bay. The boat handles well under sail up to about twenty knots of wind, and at that, under jib alone. Under fifteen knots, I am full mainsail and 150 genoa all the way, with ballast (water filled bottom tanks, 1400 lbs). At ten knots or less, no ballast, just a fast boat, not as fast as a HobieCat of course.

I would never consider taking the boat to Hawaii or the Carib, it's too light. On the other hand, there are those with a 12 footer that did just that, so okay, I drive a Volvo. I will say that under power with ballast, the boat handles amazingly better than any other sailboats I've seen, in 40 knot blows. There is no record of a dismasting or sinking of a MacX, unlike any blue water boat. I've sailed past a three hundred thousand dollar sailboat on San Francisco Bay. I've motored past a Mastercraft ski boat towing a wakeboarder. I've taught my sons to wakeboard behind my boat. I have personally waterskiied behind my sailboat.

Has the best living space and versatility of any sailboat at twenty-six feet.

See my videos at

Jeff Stagg MacX2284F898 "Three Suns" Roseville, CA USA
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome