SailNet Community - View Single Post - Food Suggestions
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006

Hawkwind is on a distinguished road
The first time I went backpacking, we made the mistake of taking a lot of canned goods. The problem is that the empty cans are still pretty heavy. By the time we got out of the woods, we were carrying over 10 lbs of trash. Might not seem like much but I usually try to keep my pack around 40 lbs or 50 lbs, which means 20% to 25% of the load was garbage. There were 5 of us making garbage and the 3 guys rotated who had to carry it. Halfway along, we tried to bribe a DNR cop into taking it out on his boat but he laughingly said he couldn't do that.

Even if you plan to toss the empty cans in the water, ( I hope you won't) that's still extra, unnecessary weight.

One thing I learned backpacking to add to the food list. Tortillas! Taste like bread but are easier to carry and don't spoil as easy. Make your favorite sandwich with tortillas. I've had many PB & J sandwiches on tortillas cause the ingredients stay good for quite a while, even without refridgeration.
Those grand fresh-water seas of ours - Erie, and Ontario, and Huron, and Superior, and Michigan, - possess an ocean-like expansiveness...They contain round archipelagoes of romantic isles...they have heard the fleet thunderings of naval victories...they know what shipwrecks are, for out of sight of land, however inland, they have drowned full many a midnight ship with all its shrieking crew. --from Moby Dick
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook