SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Owner of a '73 Pearson 30
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010

SEMIJim will become famous soon enough SEMIJim will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianjohnm View Post
I see that the problem with the main halyard running on the base of winch is due to line lock being to close to winch. Line lock is only about 6 inches in front of winch.
What do you mean by "line lock?" Can you find an on-line picture of the type of cleat/lock/clutch you mean?

Quote:
I do have a line connected to the outhaul, but no place to cleat it off to at the mast when it it pulled taught by hand!! Easy fix... Longer line leading to the cockpit winch.
Way over-kill! You don't need to apply that much force to tighten a mainsail's foot, as a rule. Hell, even when we're going to weather in 15-20 kt winds I don't need that much force to tighten ours--even with the loose-footed main, IIRC.

Quote:
Power to the mast is a problem. I have a small 8 x 8 hatch just aft the mast.
That's added by the PO.

Quote:
I have my VHF cable running through that...So hatch must be open when VHF connected!!
Our VHF antenna is an 8' or so fiberglass one, mounted on the transom.

Quote:
For mast light he told me there was wire in the companion step storage area and all he did was run it throught the port with it plugged into a 12V cigarette outlet!!!
Good grief! Why in God's name did he do that, when he had the deck peeled-off, anyway? It would have been trivial to run/replace wiring to the mast at that point. Now.... well... I choose not to contemplate what it'd take now .

Quote:
When putting up the mast, I noticed the 6" - 8" shaft the mast goes on to had a hole in it. Is the wiring supposed to go throught that?
Yeah, it is.

Quote:
Wondering if I bit of more than I can chew as this is my first boat.
Everybody does

Jim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook