SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for Trailerable Boats to Consider
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010

jim2553 is on a distinguished road
Hi alll, thanks for the quality responses!! I will look at all of the boats posted (at least on the internet).

Answering a couple of questions:

1) I am looking for low draft because the lakes I am likely to be in will have some issues with depth near the launches. I don't expect to be sailing in shallows, just motoring through them. To me the wing keel makes the boat less stable on the trailer (it is very windy here in the midwest), but this is a lesser concern.

2) I am really looking for cabin over cockpit. It is a very good question and I might not be considering it correctly (my life might have changed and I haven't caught up to it yet). That said I need at least 4 comfortable in the cockpit.

@BobMcGov too funny on the RocNa anchor. I stuck our catalina-18 wing in a particularly muddy cove. My solution was to hop out (moving 250lbs out of the boat) and I physically pushed us out. I appreciate the information on the close haul capacity of a wing-keel I wasn't aware of it.

It is a real conundrum, I want it all. I want a large cabin, capacity to pull it behind my vehicle, and configurable sails for casual racing.

Is the initial instability of the WB while you are waiting to fill the tanks or is there something else to be aware of?

@CapTim - I wish I was closer as I would take you up on that. Do you know if there is much a difference between the CAT-22 and the CAT-22 MKII. I think the goal is to have a roomier cabin.

@SwampCreek - nice writeup on the macs. I have no interest in the 50hp version, I currently own a powerboat and. I didn't understand the differences in the models so that is very helpful.

I am trying to figure out what Macgregor gave up for all the weight difference. The cabin layouts I have seen are huge compared to the other boats I have seen (on the internet). Have you done any casual racing with it and are you happy with your ability to shape the sails?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook