SailNet Community - View Single Post - SHARKS
Thread: SHARKS
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2001

debbabcock is on a distinguished road
SHARKS

Hello. We recently purchased a Helson 22 and we plan on sailing around the coasts of Florida, The Keys and Bimini. We live in Florida and I am a native but I have recently become terrified at the thought of sharks in the open water. We have a 6 yr old and a 9 month old baby and I know we are going to jump off for a swim quite freqently. Has anyone ever experienced any problems with sharks and does anyone have any tips on how to keep us all safe while swimming in open water? Both my husband and I are avid scuba divers but it is a different ball game when you are on top of the water--especially with small children. I think a big problem with sharks are the dive tours that feed them (duh--how stupid can those people get, the sharks follow the sound of the boat motors to get food, just the same as alligators inland) Does anyone have any shark stories to tell? The only encounter I have had is with a 13-14 foot Tiger Shark that decided to take a nap under the shade of the boat and I did not see him until I had already jumped off of the boat--talk about scared!! He was scared and bolted for the deep so I was lucky. Anyways, any tips would be appreciated.
debbie
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook