SailNet Community - View Single Post - beware of barefoot charters
View Single Post
Old 08-10-2010

Susan908 is on a distinguished road
Barefoot Yacht ASA Sailing School Scam

I say you go Mauigirl. I am not afraid to use my real name. My husband I just returned from St. Vincent where we enrolled in the ASA six day, six night sailing school,that was to include a certified ASA instructor to receive our 101, 103 and 104 certifications. We paid our money up front, and not only did we not have the certified instructor, the 25 year old Andato boat had much of its equipment inoperable or not-functioning properly and it was not rigged appropriately for the mandatory sailing lessons. In essence, the boat was in deplorable condition as evidenced by the two break downs (broken throttle cable and broken alternator/water pump belt) at sea. Seymour Browne our local skipper who accompanied us provided absolutely no instruction, and each time we questioned proper procedure or had any questions concerning sailing, we were told to read the book. Both my husband and I took the 101 and parts A and B of the 103 certification tests for which we received no official confirmation of passing or failing. Remember, Mr. Browne informed us he was not an ASA certified instructor and the proper documentation for certification results was not provided. Furthermore, Mr. Browne informed us that Phillip Bernard would review our test scores with us upon return to Barefoot and confirm our certification was complete. This never happened, in fact, when we returned, Phillip Bernard and Seth both disappeared and would not even talk to us. When a staffer reached Phillip by phone he refused to come back to the office or even talk to us on the phone. We have tried for three days to talk to someone in Barefoot management, the last attempt was the day after we returned home and no one would talk to us when we called and our phone calls were never returned. This was a total scam. DO NOT USE BAREFOOT YACHTS FOR YOUR ASA SAILING SCHOOL CERTIFICATIONS.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook